Sunday, January 25, 2009

Work in Progress

Bill was gone for the weekend so I tackled the laundry room make over! Simple project... what could go wrong??? Well nothing is ever easy and with every step of this project I hit a road block. I persisted though and finally got the room painted!

Bill put this board with hooks up a week ago. I told him not to because I was planning on painting. Do they ever listen...? Well it would NOT come down. He screwed it into the wall and it would not budge! I had the kids pulling on it. I was twisting it around, but would not come down. NOT a good start to the project! I even took a hammer to the screw and it broke off in the board! Finally my twisting it paid off and I could yank it off the wall!




Then it was time to prep the walls. The spackling I found (let me just say that Bill is not the most organized person and it takes a while to find where he puts all the supplies) was dried up a little, but I decided to use it anyways. I was not looking for that perfect smooth wall, just wanted to fill the holes! It worked but it was a MESS!







Finally get it painted after 3 cut ins and 2 coats on the walls. The paint color was one I had picked out when we bought the house 3 years ago. It was in the same color family as my family room and kitchen color. Well, it was a little more orange than I expected. "It looks like pumpkin pie," Livy exclaimed! Notice she is doing the laundry! I actually like it. It goes with the Tuscan feel I am trying to capture in my house. Once I add the black gadgets and maybe some saying or pictures on the wall, I think I will have the look I was going after.


So now I have to accessorize the room. I will be putting hooks on the walls today - we require a lot of hooks for 7 peoples coats! I am still on the search for a shoe rack... I found one at IKEA so I may have to travel down there to get it, DARN! I am also searching for a message center of some sort. I am thinking black framed cork board - I will have to get out my Pottery Barn catalog and see what they have to offer. I am putting black handles on my cabinets and I am thinking of painting my cabinets! What color do you think I should go with? Bill will not be for it, but it is only 2 cabinets - how bad can it look? Leave me a comment and let me know what color I should go with! Maybe I should change that ugly florescent light too??? What do you think? This project could last forever!
SO STAY TUNE FOR THE FINISHING LOOK!

3 comments:

Two Peas in a Pod Homegrown Designs said...

Black depressed look (you know where you paint a lighter color underneath dark color on top and sand lightly in places to replicate wear) cabinets with brushed nickel hardware. Take a piece of fabric and tack it on the ceiling over the light...drape it several times. Just a light piece of linen color muslin. Scrolling black iron hooks. And you could take an adjustable springloaded rod to hang four panels of fabric in front of the washer and dryer. The four panels will make it easy to slide open and access your machine. Big glass jars with silver lids for your detergent.

Melissa Lester said...

Wow, you are one brave girl to tackle a project like that with your husband out of town! We have some repainting to do, and I keep waiting for Joe to have some down time to do it. Maybe I should rethink that and take care of it myself. That is, if he won't do it. :)

Kris said...

Great ideas Trish! I was thinking about doing that exact thing to my cabinets! Bill of course shot it down. But maybe next time he is out of town!!! Love the glass jar idea too - just the thing to pick up at IKEA!