Monday, November 3, 2008

Alexandra


My baby is 14! WOW! Alex's birthday was Saturday and I am the one feeling quite old. My dad, Lin, Aunt Jo and my grandmother (isn't she the cutest!) came down to visit and take Alex out to dinner! We went to Smokey Bones so Alex could have a pulled pork sandwich - her favorite!




Another year and she will be able to get her drivers permit. In another 4 years she will be graduating and going to college. 4 YEARS! That is not very long at all. God gives you these precious gifts and you get to mold them into young adults, then you have to let them go. That has to be the hardest thing to do. Just think, I have homeschooled her for 8 years and she has been with me everyday - all day most of that time. I am one lucky mom. I have witnessed her growing up (she still has a long way to go) and have not missed much. She is just about as tall as me (another 1/2 inch to go) and almost wears the same size shoe! Her spiritual side is just as big. She has been through a lot switching churches when she was 12, but she understands more about faith and religion than most kids her age. She has a big heart and a willing attitude to serve others. As you can tell I am very PROUD of her.

This is her love of her life, Shelby. She has been obsessed with horses for as long as I can remember. Over time we have just gotten more and more into the "horse" thing, going from 1/2 day horse camps to full day horse camps to joining a horse club to joining 4H and spending a week at fair watching horses and now to leasing a horse from a friend. You know what is next... owning our own horse. I must admitt I love being with horses too, just not having to go out to the barn every other day, but for Alex we do it. It is amazing how she is with horses. She has no fear and shows her dominance over them with no problem. She would rather be with a horse than anything. What a blessing. While other 14 y.o. girls are off on the emotional roller coaster of boyfriends and getting caught up in how they look, Alex is consumed with her horse. She could care less about boys and her looks (we are working on that however - off to get her hair styled today!). I hope it continues... at least through high school. Horses are expensive, but in many ways it is worth it. It has built up her self esteem and taught her responsibility. It is just one of the things that has helped her developed in to the beautiful young lady she is!

Ok on to Trick or Treating! What a beautiful night to be out. Everyone sat outside to hand out candy. It was the first time I saw many of our neighbors! Alex was a bratty toddler, Curt was some masked man, Anna was a horse rider, Olivia was a ghost and Maria was a barbie cheerleader! I am all about not spending any money for costumes, so besides Livy's $4 muslin and Curt's $10 mask we succeeded. They look mighty cute too! Our neighbor always makes his kids some cool costumes. This year his son was an alien. He made this huge head out of foam! It was the best costume on the streets!

No comments: